Author Topic: odometer problem  (Read 5862 times)

fahrer

odometer problem
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
Hi,

Just got an 2006 R1200GS that has a odometer that counts too many kms, i.e., for one km the bike goes, it counts approximately 1,625 kms. Obviously there is a problem with miles/kms, as it is roughly a mile to km ratio. Speedometer shows correct speed, checked with GPS, but kilometers just add up way too fast.

I have changed units from km to miles, and back to km, but it still measures too many kms.

Is there anything I can do with GS-911, or should the bike go to the BMW dealer for new programming?

Thanks for any hints.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: odometer problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
The bike has most likely had the rear final drive replaced at some stage with one from a later model.

Speedo pickup strobes are different and changes with the Gen1 to Gen2 ABS.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor.  This is what you should see on your model:

This is most likely what you will see, which is the strobe for the later Gen2 ABS:

fahrer

Re: odometer problem
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
Hi Jughead,

Thanks for the answer. The rear drive ratio is correct, (I have checked the numbers engraved at the bottom of the housing). I can not check the size of slots on the pickup ring, as the bike is not with me at the moment.

The speedo sensor was covered with steel dust, but cleaning it and changing the rear drive oil did not change a thing.

However, as the bike indicates speed correctly, but counts the distance at a 1,625 ratio, I do not see how the wrong pickup ring can give correct speed signal, and incorrect distance signal? In my opinion, if the pickup ring is wrong, it would influence the speedometer as well.

I think that some of the previous owners either "played" with the total mileage and messed something up, or the bike was damaged, and a new (second hand) instrument cluster was improperly fitted.