Author Topic: G650GS ABS/Speedo issue  (Read 5316 times)

rkover1

G650GS ABS/Speedo issue
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »
Aloha everyone. I am posting this in the hopes that someone has already been down this path and can offer some guidance as to how to proceed.

Background:

I have a new-to-me 2009 G650GS singe-cylinder with approximately 6000 miles. I installed a 1" Kouba link and greased all of the rear suspension joints. Shortly thereafter, the ABS light would come on after about 15-20 miles. Sometimes - but not always - this was accompanied by the speedometer/odometer going out. Turning the bike off and then back on would reset everything but the light would come back on again in 15-20 miles, as before. Eventually, the problem progressed to the point that the ABS light is now always on and the speedo/odo do not function.

I recently received my GS911 wifi and tested the bike with these initial results, 2 BMS faults and 4 ABS faults:

BMS:
          821: Speed sensor (rpm), signal implausible
          Currently present: NO
          Occurrence count: 32

1280: Speed signal (vehicle speed), signal implausible
         Currently present: YES
         Occurrence count: 5

ABS:
         25380: Front wheel speed sensor: Signal implausible

25409: Rear wheel speed sensor: Sensor clearance incorrect

25406: Rear wheel speed sensor: No signal

25408: Rear wheel speed sensor: Signal implausible

I then cleared all of the fault codes and went on a short ride. As before, the ABS light was on and the speedo/odo was not functioning. I then repeated the testing with the following results:

BMS:
        821: Speed sensor (rpm), signal implausible
        Occurrence count: 34

1280: Speed signal (vehicle speed), signal implausible
        Occurrence count: 5

ABS:
        25406: Rear wheel speed sensor, No signal

I see no obvious damage to with the sensor or to the sensor ring mounted to the rear wheel. The clearance measures approximately 0.6mm, within the specified range of 0.1 - 1.3mm.

Would I be correct in assuming that the fault lies with the rear wheel sensor? I have seen conflicting reports as to whether the sensor can or can not be tested. If it can, what are the tests and can they be done with a general volt-ohm meter? If not, is there a consensus on what to do next? Should I just replace the sensor and see if that corrects the problem?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Mahalo!

doc

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: G650GS ABS/Speedo issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:44:16 AM »
Yes it does sound like the rear wheel sensor has developed a fault but I would check the connector for it and check the cable is not pinched

rkover1

Re: G650GS ABS/Speedo issue
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »
Thanks! Will do.

doc