Author Topic: Error Messages  (Read 17636 times)

BMWRGS

Error Messages
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:58:18 AM »
I didn't know here to put this since there doesn't seem to be a folder for these questions:

I am getting Error Messages the odd time and I have included screen shots. By "odd time" I can do an AutoScan and it'll give me an AutoScan Report and then I can try several times and get the Error Messages shown. Then it'll work again. Go figure.

I registered my GS-911 WiFi well over a week ago, yet I get this message telling me that This interface has not been registered yet. Please register it before continuing.

In fact, I have an email dated 2016-07-28 from GS-911 registrar:
Dear (my first and last name)

Thank you for registering your GS-911wifi interface: GS1 006 814.

Also while performing an AutoScan, I get the following two Error Messages...

Timeout while receiving data

Invalid response received from interface
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:11:54 PM by BMWRGS »

BMWRGS

Re: Error Messages
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:05:43 AM »
Here is another one while in the Anti-Lock Brake Controller...

Failed to read fault codes: Timeout while receiving data

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:21:43 AM »
The error messages suggest a PC problem, what is the PC ? Windows Version etc

I would also use the WiFi interface and confirm whether there were vehicle communication errors when using it to confirm the cause of the errors

When you indicate you have registered the GS911, which method did you use ?, have you tried registering it via the PC App ?

BMWRGS

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
The error messages suggest a PC problem, what is the PC ? Windows Version etc

I am using a HP laptop running Windows 10. If it matters, it is the same one I use with my other two diagnostic units...no issues.

I would also use the WiFi interface and confirm whether there were vehicle communication errors when using it to confirm the cause of the errors

If you mean do I get the Error Messages when connected via WiFi or USB, I'll get back to you on that tomorrow.

When you indicate you have registered the GS911, which method did you use ?, have you tried registering it via the PC App ?

I followed the instructions on the sheet. I used the GS-911 WiFi Untility V1510.3  (Edited to add:I just upgraded to 1607.2 a few minutes ago)

Thanks Wayne for helping out.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:38:32 AM by BMWRGS »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:06 AM »
OK, understood, you seem to have ruled out PC problems and the registration process you used rules out another thought I had

Check what happens with connecting via WiFi first but I think it may be worthwhile lodging a support ticket with Hexcode so they are aware of the problem

BMWRGS

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:44:28 AM »
OK, understood, you seem to have ruled out PC problems and the registration process you used rules out another thought I had

Check what happens with connecting via WiFi first but I think it may be worthwhile lodging a support ticket with Hexcode so they are aware of the problem

And with the GS-911 WiFi Utility that I just updated a few minutes ago, I clicked Device registration and a screen popped up with the serial number of my unit, WiFi capable: Yes, Distributor information and Registered owner information (me), so yes, I think that confirms my unit is registered.

I'll do some more checks tomorrow or Saturday before lodging a support ticket with Hex Code.

Thanks!!!

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »

And with the GS-911 WiFi Utility that I just updated a few minutes ago, I clicked Device registration and a screen popped up with the serial number of my unit, WiFi capable: Yes, Distributor information and Registered owner information (me), so yes, I think that confirms my unit is registered.

I'll do some more checks tomorrow or Saturday before lodging a support ticket with Hex Code.

Thanks!!!

I can prompt that error message at will on my system.  What it normally means is that the PC for some reason cannot communicate with the GS911.

When this happens, click on "Tools", then "Setup".  Select "WiFi Address" and click on "Discover".  The system will then go out and hunt for the GS911.  I find this error a lot since I am running DHCP and IP addresses change from time to time.  As the GS911 is not permanently connected it will attempt to use the IP address that was used previously.  If this is not available it will use another, but the system will not pick it up automatically.

This is my scenario.  I run my business and my home network all on one WiFi network.  I will use the GS 911 now and it will connect with IP address 192.168.1.20.  The system is then configured to use that address. 

While I am busy with something else, my daughter will turn her PC on in the house.  DHCP will then assign her system the IP Address 192.168.1.20 since the GS911 is no longer using it.

The next time I connect the GS911, it will connect with a new address, eg. 192.168.1.14, since the .20 address is still in use by my daughter.  My system however is still looking for the GS911 on address .20 and the "This interface has not been registered yet. Please register it before continuing." error pops up.  My PC now has to be reconfigured for the new address 192.168.1.14 for it to work.

The way to avoid this is to give everything static addresses and the exclude these static addresses from the DHCP range.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Jughead, you can normally "reserve" IP No's on a router for specific MAC addresses, this way the IP NO is always the same but the device is left in DHCP mode, you get the best of both worlds that way, I quite often use it rather than static IP settings

O have also noticed many routers now will stick to reserving IP No's for devices until the router is reset or repowered

BMWRGS

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
When I set up my GS-911 WiFi, I went into my router, and assigned an IP Address to the MAC of the GS-911 as I have done with so many other devices using the router.

I also entered the MAC in my MAC Filtering Rules as I have with all my other devices that communicate with the router. They all work flawlessly.

BMWRGS

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 03:07:35 AM »
When I am operating in the GS-911 V1601.1 program, no matter if I am connected using the USB cable or by WiFi, I get these Error Messages. Sure, I can get an AutoScan the very odd time, but it should work every time.

I discovered another way of running through the tests using the GS-911 WiFi Utility. At the bottom right of the screen, there is a button: Open browser for the selected device

That lets me do pretty well the same tests but the difference is, everything works via WiFi every single time.

I am not a software expert, but that points to the GS-911 V1601.1 software since I have so many Error Messages when running it and none when I am running on the other program.

By the way, when I use the USB cable, does that automatically disable connection via WiFi?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:24:20 AM by BMWRGS »

BMWRGS

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 03:46:15 AM »
These are some of the screenshots I get when running the GS-911 WiFi Utility and select Open browser for the selected device...

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 04:26:27 AM »
When I am operating in the GS-911 V1601.1 program, no matter if I am connected using the USB cable or by WiFi, I get these Error Messages. Sure, I can get an AutoScan the very odd time, but it should work every time.
I see a little confusion with which connection is in use here, it is contradicted by the info in your 3rd comment below

When connected via USB the GS911 is only an interface with all "intelligence" in the PC app
When connected via WiFi the "intelligence" is from within the GS911

I discovered another way of running through the tests using the GS-911 WiFi Utility. At the bottom right of the screen, there is a button: Open browser for the selected device
Because you have had the router allocate an IP No for the GS911 you can book mark it and dont need to use the WiFi utility

That lets me do pretty well the same tests but the difference is, everything works via WiFi every single time.
You are using the code internal to the GS911 and identified it is OK and working error free

I am not a software expert, but that points to the GS-911 V1601.1 software since I have so many Error Messages when running it and none when I am running on the other program.
Yes it seem there is a problem with the USB connection, it may be associated with either the PC version software or the driver/PC USB settings and so you should reprt it to Hexcode. Problems with aggressive USB power settings in Windows have been seen before

By the way, when I use the USB cable, does that automatically disable connection via WiFi?
The USB and WiFi connections to the GS911 are completely separate
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:31:33 AM by WayneC »

BMWRGS

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 05:11:45 AM »
Thanks Wayne,

Sorry about this, but I do not know the GS-911 like the creators and came across the following but had missed while testing.

As late as it was, I went back into the garage...

I noted in Tools, there is Setup which lets you select WiFi, COM 1 or USB.

So I selected USB, hit OK. The USB cable was connected (obviously)
AutoScan (as well as other ECU Info for various controllers, and Realtime Values) worked (were accessed) every single time.

I then went back to Tools, Setup and selected WiFi and hit OK. The USB cable was removed.
1) I got an AutoScan Info report,
2) Error Message
3) AutoScan info report
4) AutoScan info report
5) Error Message

Along with those attempts, I also tried other features and I'd get the usual Timeout or Interface error messages as shown in my first post.

It is almost like something needs to be woken up in order to commence polling the system.

On another forum, someone mentioned router signal strength (I get full strength on my laptop's indicator).  I can be further away in my driveway in my car and access the internet via WiFi without issues, so I don't think it is that...or?

I am beat and it is hot at 23:00, so I am calling it quits for now.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 05:30:57 AM »
No worries, the good news is your problem is really one of understanding rather than a faulty unit  ;D, much easier to deal with

The GS911 WiFi is a dumb interface when you connect via USB and you need to set the PC App to USB connection, the auto configure is handy

The GS911 WiFi is an intelligent device when connecting via WiFi so it combines the functions of an interface plus operates from inbuilt software

So you can see it is really 2 tools in one, I tend to use the WiFi interface for most things as I am not usually using a Windows PC so it is rare I ever connect with a USB cable or use the PC WiFi utility, I have the GS911 book marked in the browser as I have a reserved IP No in the router as you do

The comments from others elsewhere re signal strength do not sound like they are an issue for you, I have used the WiFi capability over some long distances without problems so I would not go off on that tangent
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:36:07 AM by WayneC »

BMWRGS

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
Well guys, my patience is running thin and I am getting a little more than just a bit pi$$ed at this device.

• It works perfectly using the USB cable - no error messages, not a single one.
  • It works perfectly using the GS-911 Utility in WiFi mode and Open browser for selected feature - no error messages, not a single one.
  • I get countless error messages when using the GS-911 program in WiFi mode.

So today I did the following:

I made sure my vehicle's battery wasn't the culprit. I fully charged the battery using my HP lab grade DC power supply and then used the power supply to maintain a healthy voltage while testing. It made NO DIFFERENCE.

I moved my laptop closer to my router. It made NO DIFFERENCE. From that position, I could Identify (beep) device using the GS-911 Utility. I also went into my router and checked settings. All fine, besides if that was the problem, it would not communicate in the Utility program.

I checked for updates again.

I did a Test Interface again...

While running a Realtime Values and other features, I get a Registration message again. How many effing times will I get that message when it has been registered already???????

Ans then while performing another Test interface, I get this...

I will let Hex Code figure this out or the unit is going back for a refund or exchange. I am done messing around!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:21:30 PM by BMWRGS »