Author Topic: R1100S ABS Module Cannot Be Found  (Read 7591 times)

beermonster

R1100S ABS Module Cannot Be Found
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
Hi All,

Originally posted on the model specific forum but there does not see to be much traffic there so though I would try here.

Bike is R1100S ABS (servo assisted) 03 model, I am using the latest version of the GS911 software on a PC. When performing auto scan the GS911 finds the main ECU but not the abs controller. I originally thought the latest GS911 update may have caused the problem because I had not had this problem when using earlier versions.

I eliminated this as a possibility after trying the GS911 on an another identical bike and the ABS controller communicated with the GS911 fine, all functions were available.

Main difference I could find was revealed on the GS911 test interface, the problem bike had K line 1 stuck low whilst the second bike had both K lines read OK. Confusingly the ABS appears to fine on the problem bike, it re-sets etc. What should be looking at?

Regards

Simon

schuppi

Re: R1100S ABS Module Cannot Be Found
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
Bike is R1100S ABS (servo assisted) 03 model,

Hi Simon,

Looks like that is right. This model uses only one diagnostic K-line just with the junction X9397 in the wiring.
If the ABS works fine, please measure the K-line from ABS module to Diagnostic connector > pin 31 to pin 1
coloured brown/black.

Otherwise more informations needed
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

beermonster

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
Hi Schuppi,

Many thanks for the prompt reply will check out that wire as you suggest. Hope to get at the bike this Sunday but failing that the owner has just pulled a load of night shifts, before he goes on leave for three weeks on the bike. I am away myself for two weeks when he gets back so there may be a delay in responding. Just thought I would let you know.

What extra information are you looking for?

The owner tells me has good breakdown cover should all else fail ;)

Simon

schuppi

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:29:25 PM »
Hi Simon

thought about something like the history of this bike.
any repairs or retrofittings which ever could demage the cables :)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

beermonster

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
Hi Schuppi,

It has spent some time being hidden during a protracted divorce :'(. Has been used regularly for the past three years, clocked up about 33k (Miles). Standard, good condition, the only modifications to the wiring wiring have been alarm removal but that was some time ago and generated no problems with the GS911.

I suppose the only potential culprit could be that a Zumo sat nav was spliced into the feed to the rear light to obtain a switched feed. This was at a connector under the seat on the rear lamp side of the connector ,a grey and black wire I believe. Can't really see that being an issue though.

Simon

schuppi

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Okay,
this grey/black line is an output of the ABS control unit. Don't know what your navigator will do with this signal?

I would check the fuses F6 F7 F8.
Disconnect your retrofit and connect the nav wiring + directly to fuse F8,

hope this helps.

If the ABS works fine? from last post >> does it?
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

beermonster

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
Hi Schuppi,

The grey/black line is a switched live and now powers the sat nav with the ignition on. Sat nave works fine by the way as does the ABS. Did not get much time over the week end as we were bleeding the ABS brakes on anther R1100s.

Anyway took some readings at the diagnostic connector and cleaned the contacts whilst I was at it. Red/yellow power wire 11.75v and the brown/black signal wire 11.05v. Re-tested the GS911 and now both K lines are reading OK, but still can't detect the ABS module.

I reckon the next thing is to strip the plastic off to get to the connector on the abs module and have a look there, check the wiring as you suggest. I can't see that splicing into the grey/black wire would make much difference but if all else fails will disconnect the sat nav. Have not done so as the owner is leaving for France and does not want to make any changes for the time being.

Wont be able to get at the bike now for a couple of weeks.

Simon

beermonster

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
Posting to close this off, my friends bike dies about a week ago, flat battery. When checked we found the culprit, namely the servos were on permanently. Up until that time everything was working fine although as previously posted the ABS module could not be detected.

Anyway since the plastics were off, tested the brake switches and pin 31 at the module, and all checked out. Disconnected the sat nav feed but still no module detected and the servos still locked on. Bike needed to be fixed ASAP as it was required for commuting duties, so off it went to have the ABS removed! The mechanic confirmed that the control module was dead. :(

Thanks again for the responses

Still one less thing to worry about now ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:03:17 PM by beermonster »