Author Topic: Updated but now won't open  (Read 10537 times)

manic mechanic

Updated but now won't open
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:13:20 PM »
I have used both the GS-911 and WiFi- interfaces within the past few days successfully.  Yesterday I installed the program updates and now the computer won't open the file.  Just curious if I did something, or ?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Updated but now won't open
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:34 AM »
Yesterday I installed the program updates and now the computer won't open the file.  Just curious if I did something, or ?

What are you referring to as the "program updates" ?, do you mean firmware or the PC application ?

manic mechanic

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:18 AM »
Firmware from the Hexcode website.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »
OK, understood re the update, I am not clear on why you say "the computer will not open the file"

What you would need to do is firstly indicate whether you cn access the WiFi web interface and secondly whether you can connect the GS911 via USB and whether the GS911 utility can access it and show the unit and the details for it. WIthout that info it is very hard to assist you

manic mechanic

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »
With either/both interfaces connected via USB and launching GS-911, I receive message on screen that computer is unable to open file, closing app.  This is on a laptop.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:17:13 AM »
The WiFi web interface is independent of any app on the PC so where the GS911 has been configured into your WiFi network you should be able to connect to it by keying in the IP No

The WiFi pC utility is not updated or changed during a GS911 WiFi firmware update so I can only assume it is your PC which is reporting unable to open the App, a screen shot would be helpful

It is possible that the GS911 WiFi App now needs updating to match the new firmware but I would only expect that to be the case if the GS911 WiFi and PC WiFi App were quite old from the day you purchased it

manic mechanic

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
OK, just tried again.  The WiFi interface is seen by the wifi utility via USB.  The yellow interface, when using the GS-911 application, gives an error message of "Failed to load file, application will close."

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:28:29 AM »
What IP No is showing for the GS911 ?

Connect to the GS911 WiFi interface with the browser and confirm the version numbers etc, post the info here, you will find it all in "about"

Also check for update, and that will confirm the firmware update completed properly, if the GS911 was depowered prior to an update being completed it will then attempt to complete it the next time it is powered up. It can take up to 1/2 hour to complete

manic mechanic

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »
I'm contemplating deleting then reloading the GS-911 app to see if that may clear things up.

manic mechanic

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
For the wifi, IP is 10.0.0.1

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 06:37:32 AM »
If you were to update the PC App it probably would not be a bad idea but since you have not indicated any detail re version numbers of either the WiFi utility or the PC App it is hard to assist you, knowing the version of WIndows would also be useful, It has to be Win7 or later or the WiFi utility would not work

It may even be an AntiVirus update which has caused the failure to open the PC App, that is not uncommon unfortunately

OK, re IP No I can see you do not have the GS911 WiFi configured to connect into you home WiFi network, 10.0.0.1 is the Adhoc mode IP No

manic mechanic

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
I can't give you the requested info from the app if I can't open it.  I've had the yellow interface for several years, and the red wifi for less than a year.  I'll delete the original app and reload it to see what happens.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 06:47:52 AM »
I can't give you the requested info from the app if I can't open it.  I've had the yellow interface for several years, and the red wifi for less than a year.  I'll delete the original app and reload it to see what happens.

OK it sounds like it would perhaps be wise to download and install the latest version of the PC App, there has been a lot of updates and development into it in the last 12 months, worth ensuring the PC WiFi utility is also the latest version

manic mechanic

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
It works now, 1606.1

Thanks for being there and helping out.  Perhaps I should do the delete/reload more often, as opposed to just getting the periodic updates.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »
Yes, keep it up to date, especially the GS911 WiFi, when doing GS9911 WiFi updates dont get impatient let it run, wait til the completed message comes up

Re the WiFi interface, configure it into the workshop/home WiFi network, the WiFi unit is really 2 tools in one, traditional for PC app and modern with WiFi, the real time logging in WiFi interface can be a quicker fault finding tool at times especially when checking operation of switches etc