Author Topic: Instrument Failure  (Read 27275 times)

Big Man

Instrument Failure
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
I hope someone can help me with a strange problem with the instruments on my 2004 R1200GS.  I first noticed the problem when the needle on the speedometer started to momentarily “dip” intermittently.  About 30 miles later this dipping became more frequent as soon as I slowed.  At this point I suspected that the rear wheel speed sensor might be an issue and so intended to have a look to see if there were any metal fragments on it when I got home.

However, shortly after this, both the yellow and red warning triangles on the dashboard started to flash, so I stopped the bike to cycle the ignition to see if things would clear.  The initial start-up diagnostic ran through OK, so started the bike and carried on.  Shortly after this the speedometer dropped to zero and the brake warning lights started to flash.  At this point I turned for home, a journey of about 40 miles.  As I rode home, the whole of the dashboard became erratic; speedometer and revcounter going to zero, warning lights flashing and the LED display appearing to be going through its re-boot procedure almost constantly.

I ran a scan with my GS 911 when I got home and tested the battery voltage, which was just over 12 volt.  As the battery was about 5 years old and had covered about 42,000 miles (about the same as the original) I thought this could be the issue and so bought a replacement Odyessey battery.  After fitting this, all seemed ok until about a mile down the road when the symptoms began again.  Back home, I removed the tank to check for any problems with electrical connections etc. but did not discover any problems.  A full scan with the GS 911 showed no issues, so after fitting the tank I tried a short run, with no problems.  That evening I did about 100 miles; again all ok.

The following day, about 50 miles from home and the problem has returned.  Once home I ran a scan (attached) which gave error 1028 (CAN-bus timeout, no communication with KOMBI) also 25160 (Internal control module error) and 54087 (Can bus; No communication with any other modules) relating to the ABS module.  After leaving the bike for an hour or so, the latest scan shows no present errors (except for fuel pump and level indicator as I have the tank off).

I am currently thinking of replacing the rear speed sensor (although I can’t see how it can cause such catastrophic issues) and wondering if the either the ABS or KOMBI units are shot.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

For your information, I am using version Beta 1306.4 and my PC runs Vista (the cause of many problems, but not this one).  I have attached the Scans taken as soon as I returned home (Post Run) and the one taken after everything had cooled down.

Sorry to have been so long winded!

Thanks,

Dave

bikecrazy5

Re: Instrument Failure
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
Hi Dave

sounds like you had a bit of fun ;D
I have seen this before on a F800 gs,  and found a small crack in the housing of the instrument cluster, thus resulting in water damage  to the cluster pc board. im not saying it is the case with your bike but I would have a look at the cluster

Haakon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:40:11 AM »
I fully agree with "bikecrazy5"- forget the rear sensor.
I would first check the plug (s) on and to the instrument cluster.
Then inspect the cluster itself.
It is strange that ist working for a while then fail tho- can not explain that behaviour.
Bad or loose connections do behave strange :-)) 
2000 F650-GS

Big Man

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
Thanks for your ideas.  Took the clocks off today, no sign of any damage, cracks etc.  All conectors corrosion free and seated correctly.  I have to head off to work for a few days so will continue with the quest when I get back on Friday morning.

Best regards,

Dave

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
I would be looking at a wiring issue (or connectors).. all the control modules broadcast there values onto the CAN bus and who ever needs that value, uses it... thus the Instrument cluster will be listening for the speed values that the ABS unit broadcasts onto the CAN bus, and in turn will also be listening for the RPM (Engine speed) values that the BMSK broadcasts onto the bus...

and as I can see from you AutoScans.. you have a LOT of CAN-bus timeout issues... this can be due to wiring issues discontinuity or shorts, poor connection in connectors, corrosion, water or even incorrect termination.. there is a 120ohm resistor on either end of the CAN bus - these are situated in the Instrument cluster (KOMBI) as the Alarm (DWA).. and if you do not have a DWA, then there is a 120ohm resistor in the connector plug... and if the plug is unplugged or missing you will see a lot of CAN bus errors..

best,
Stephan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Big Man

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
I managed to speak to a BMW Technician today and he also suggested I should be looking for a wiring issue, possibly intermitant power problem to the clocks.  I never thought about a resistor on the end of the CAN bus.  I will be able to spend a few days on this from Friday onwards so I am hoping I will be able to track this down then.  Many thanks once again, I'm feeling much more confident that I can track down the issue with the suggestions made.  I will provide an update once I get back to work on the problem.

Best regards,

Dave

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »
no probs!  we're enthusiasts as much as everyone else on this forum... always happy to help.. and be sure to post your findings once you've tracked down the issue!

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

Big Man

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
Certainly is a great facility.  Can you give me an idea where the plug with the resistor for terminating the CAN bus should be on the wiring loom?  I've never noticed this so may not realise if it has become detached.

Thanks,

Dave

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
near the tail light... under the pillion seat

currently riding:

Big Man

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Thank you

Big Man

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
Well, the problem seems to have been solved.  After spending four days tracing through the wiring, buzzing out for continuity and checking for anything going to earth which shouldn’t, I ran out of time and had to hand over the bike to my local BMW technician.  To cut a long story short he eventually found three frayed wires in the loom in the area of the battery box.  Since this damage was repaired I have covered about 250 miles with no problems.  If the bike survives a longer distance check at the weekend, I will be heading off for Sardinia and Corsica early next month.

Possible cause of the damage would seem to be my Odyssey battery.  This was installed at about 40,000 miles after the original failed.  It looks like the larger dimensions have either stretched the wiring or chaffed against the loom.  I hope this information helps someone else if they run into similar issues.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions.

Dave

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
Great!  Pleased you have got the problem sorted.

Thanks for the feedback.  Will definitely keep it in mind.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
absolutely.. that's a Karma point for getting back to us with what you found!

;)
currently riding:

lhendrick

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
Just wanted to say that this post is very helpful to me as I experience similar problem with my 08 GT. I will now try to trace and find any wiring issues in my loom.

Beemerboy

• owner of a R1200GS 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
Hi

What do verrry often to prevent these kind of problem is, at those chafing places. I got a piece of hardplastic tube.
( I know it from the truck manufacturing industry)  cut it open and put it arround the wireing loome, specialy
at the frame in the steering area. It cost barely nothing and saves a lot of (future) problems.

greets