Author Topic: Instrument Failure  (Read 27283 times)

lhendrick

Re: Instrument Failure
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Just wanted to say that this post is very helpful to me as I experience similar problem with my 08 GT. I will now try to trace and find any wiring issues in my loom.

Just an update to say, I traced the wiring on my K1200GT (2008), as I was experiencing intermittent symptoms the same as the original poster. I found that tugging on the thick wiring loom just before it connects to the large ZFE control module on the upper right side triggered the flashing instrument panel. I opened up the loom to inspect individual wires, and even opened up one of the large connectors to the ZFE control module to inspect, but found no chafed wires. I did take off all of the plastic cable ties that were securing the loom in this area, as I have heard of issues where these are installed so tight at the factory that they cause wiring issues. My symptoms have almost disappeared, only now present at startup, and not occurring while riding anymore.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »
To add to the knowledge bank

On the F650GS single spark the circuit boards chafe around the ODO and cause problems, info came out of Wild Dogs forum, pics over there

On all the F650GS dash assemblies water gets into them and causes crud build up around the 12 pin connector which then shuts down the voltage regulator, it is a protection mechanism in the VR IC. Symptoms can be intermittent start up and shut down of the dash through to dead dash

Cleaning the circuit boards resolves the problems, unfortunately dealers have been binning dash assemblies world wide when the fault is an easy fix
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:35:32 AM by WayneC »

lhendrick

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
Just wanted to say that this post is very helpful to me as I experience similar problem with my 08 GT. I will now try to trace and find any wiring issues in my loom.

Just an update to say, I traced the wiring on my K1200GT (2008), as I was experiencing intermittent symptoms the same as the original poster. I found that tugging on the thick wiring loom just before it connects to the large ZFE control module on the upper right side triggered the flashing instrument panel. I opened up the loom to inspect individual wires, and even opened up one of the large connectors to the ZFE control module to inspect, but found no chafed wires. I did take off all of the plastic cable ties that were securing the loom in this area, as I have heard of issues where these are installed so tight at the factory that they cause wiring issues. My symptoms have almost disappeared, only now present at startup, and not occurring while riding anymore.

Final update. It seems my problem was NOT in the wiring harness, but in the ZFE. I changed the entire harness, no joy. I read that there have been cold solder joints in the ZFE and opened up the box and re-soldered (heated the joints with soldering iron point) all the connector joints. It worked.

schuppi

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »
Hello
Nice to read, thank you for the feedback.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Calambres

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »
...I read that there have been cold solder joints in the ZFE and opened up the box and re-soldered (heated the joints with soldering iron point) all the connector joints. It worked.

This is another case of RoHS problems. Search the web for "RoHS reballing".