Author Topic: Rear wheel pressure sensor. Fault codes 24097 and 23978  (Read 3048 times)

Kotik108

Rear wheel pressure sensor. Fault codes 24097 and 23978
« on: June 25, 2016, 06:10:21 AM »
Hi, After I was hit by a car and my K1300GT was down on the right side the braking pedal and the part 27 on the image at the link:
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2010-bmw-k1300gt/o/m22564#sch697149
were banded heavily. It was repaired at garage, but after that the rear brake light stands on all the time and on board computer shows Brake failure warning. The GS-911 gave me 2 following messages:
24097 Pressure Sensor Control Circuit, rear: No Signal. The fault is currently present and
23978 Pressure Sensor, rear wheel circuit: No Signal. The fault is currently present.
I have the following questions:
1. Which sensor does it mean: rear wheel air or ABS2? When I scan with GS-911 for Integral ABS 2 - CAN, it gives the same 2 faults.
2. Considering what happened to the motorcycle, what could go wrong to cause these messages?
3. Where are those sensors located and could it be some wiring or whatever else?
Please help,          Roman

dmellor

Re: Rear wheel pressure sensor. Fault codes 24097 and 23978
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Roman,
First, sorry to hear about the crash.  Hope you are okay.  The "pressure sensor errors are for the tpms system.  I'm pretty sure the computer is not receiving a signal from the rear wheel sensor.  The most common reason for this fault code is the battery in the sensor gets too weak to produce a signal the computer can pick up.  It is possible the crash damaged the sensor, but not without damaging the rear wheel and that would be VERY obvious.  Since you didn't mention needing a new rear wheel, I assume that is not the circumstance.  There aren't any simple solutions.  You can buy new sensors and install them yourself, but the computer has to be reset to recognize the new sensors.  You can replace the batteries in the existing sensors, but it is hard, messy, and probably not a good idea.  I have no idea what a dealership charges for new sensors, but I bet it's alot and they won't do just one.  Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mike d

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
If the rear brake light is illuminated all the time, then the garage hasn't fixed the bike properly. Take it back to them.
Before delving in to the fault codes, I would suggest that he brake light issue be fixed first, and then see if the faults are still in evidence.

Mike

Kotik108

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Guys,
Thanks a lot for your advises. The bike now at Motorad Toronto. About 3 weeks passed and the reason for brake lights being always on is still not clarified. >:(

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
24097 Pressure Sensor Control Circuit, rear: No Signal. The fault is currently present and
23978 Pressure Sensor, rear wheel circuit: No Signal. The fault is currently present.

Hi Roman

These errors have absolutely nothing to do with the TPMS!

This is ABS pump related, which also accounts for the brake light being on all the time.  The pressure sensors are internal to the ABS pump electronics and are not serviceable/replaceable on their own.  The "Control circuit" refers to the pressure in the brake circuit between the lever/pedal and the ABS pump.  The "Wheel Circuit" refers to the pressure in the circuit from the ABS pump to the wheel caliper.

You will notice on your bike that there is no brake light switch attached to the pedal you refer to in the link.  The brake light is controlled by the pressure in the circuit.

As Mike d has stated, the bike has not been properly repaired and should be returned to the garage that performed the repairs.