Author Topic: Fuel Strip - not reading fuel level  (Read 7480 times)

sonia

• r1200rt 2010
Fuel Strip - not reading fuel level
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »
Hello Again,
   Different problem. Fuel  level indicator was working fine until I had to do a bike to bike fuel transfer with a siphon. After the transfer, it no longer read the fuel. I did replace the battery not longer after and the fuel level indicator came back for a while then went dead again. I removed the fuel sensor from the tank, and see that the sensor is incase or protected by a plactic casing, so I don't think I damaged it during the fuel transfer. Having the fuel strip out, I let it dry and then tried to do a fuel strip calibration with the 911.  Just before completing the calibration i get this error "An Error occured during calibration: Error with Calibration". Do I have a bad fuel strip or did I miss someting in the prcedure?
I also checked the fault codes:
41705: Fuel Level Indicator - Symptom: Implausible signal or value.

BMW R1200RT 2010

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:37:28 AM by sonia »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Fuel Strip - not reading fuel level
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »
Yes, you possibly have the dreaded fuel strip failure.

They do not like being disturbed.  You can try checking the connector where it is plugged into the fuel pump flange.  Sometimes I have seen one of the pins not aligned properly resulting in a bad connection.

I normally remove the strip from the plastic casing while doing the calibration.  I dry it carefully with a clean rag, drape it across the tank (which has also been cleaned) and then cover it with a rag (to prevent any draught from messing with the temperature while calibrating)

It is VERY flimsy and has to be handled with a lot of care.

sonia

• r1200rt 2010
Re: Fuel Strip - not reading fuel level
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »
I did not cover it in a rag. Maybe that is my issue. I'll give it another go.