Author Topic: TPS values  (Read 9435 times)

Kenny

TPS values
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
while resetting my service reminders I was having a look at real-time values and was surprised to see the value for the throttle position only going up to 50% and then back down with a negative value back to zero.
Bike runs fine ??

schuppi

Re: TPS values
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
Hello,
switch on ignition, don't start the engine :), then turn the handle several times from
full closed to full open.
Cycle ignition off>on , go to real time values, select TPS, signal will be shown from 0 > 100%.
If not, there is something wrong with the sensor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:51:06 PM by schuppi »
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Kenny

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:54:07 PM »
yep, tried that  :'( made no difference.

Alexm1

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:11:09 AM »
Kenny, both the ignition and the kill switch need to be on to perform a tps reset, I have been caught out leaving the kill switch off. Were both on?
Alex

Kenny

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »
yes, both definitely on.
I will need measure the resistance across the tps pins tomorrow and see what the readings are.
Seems strange how the bike runs very well even though it looks like the tps is telling the ecu that it thinks i am closing the throttle after half way??

Kenny

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
Well that was interesting, checked the tps with info from here, http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Throttle-Position%20Sensor%20(All%20BMW%20models,%20'04%20on)%20V1.0.pdf
but I don't think it can be correct?? as I can see no way that the resistance would change between pins one and three??
There is a printed track that goes up from pin 3 to the carbon track and then down to pin 1 so no way to alter the resistance between 1 an 3 ??
Anyhow, checked with mobile software and throttle goes from 0 to 100% same check with laptop and it only goes to just under 50% at half throttle then back down to almost zero at full throttle.
the numbers after half throttle look like , throttle valve position 35%(-) with the negative in brackets after the numbers
 ???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:18:08 PM by Kenny »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:20 AM »
Well that was interesting, checked the tps with info from here, http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Throttle-Position%20Sensor%20(All%20BMW%20models,%20'04%20on)%20V1.0.pdf
but I don't think it can be correct?? as I can see no way that the resistance would change between pins one and three??
There is a printed track that goes up from pin 3 to the carbon track and then down to pin 1 so no way to alter the resistance between 1 an 3 ??
Yes the author of the document is clearly not an electronics professional but at least he has found how to dismantle and reassemble the TPS

The TPS off the bikes is also used on 3 Series cars. I was going to open one up to take a look inside but when I tried to obtain a faulty one a repair workshop could not remember replacing one they are so reliable. I have been surprised at the level of reliability, I expected there would be wear faults on the carbon tracks of the pot but I dont see any volume of faults reported

Anyhow, checked with mobile software and throttle goes from 0 to 100% same check with laptop and it only goes to just under 50% at half throttle then back down to almost zero at full throttle.
the numbers after half throttle look like , throttle valve position 35%(-) with the negative in brackets after the numbers
 ???
It appears you have found a problem in the GS911 software as both the mobile and PC version should have given the same result, I would suggest you lodge a fault report with Hexcode

Kenny

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »
Software sorted with the latest release  8)