Author Topic: Newbie new to BMW and to GS911  (Read 10014 times)

wkheathjr

Newbie new to BMW and to GS911
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:47:36 AM »
Hello,
I am Ken and I am about ready to do a 12,000 miles service on my 2001 F650GS and I bought a GS911 wifi few months ago when it was on sale for Christmas.  Now I am about to do a pre-trip preparation to the moto in few hundred miles.  Oil change, anti-freeze change, maybe fork (contemplating to delay until after I leave Alaska and get fork serviced in Washington state).

Anyway, I have a 2010 Macbook and I think I read somewhere that I would need some sort of Microsoft OS that will work in Mac so I can use my GS911 wifi with it?  For some reason I can't find it because I read the info about that in December so you can understand why I do not remember where I saw it.

And from here, what do I do? If I am correctly, I was supposed to "reset" the data on BMW's performance?  Perhaps help this newbie here so I don't mess up the process and get stuck!

Leaving for Alaska July 8th.. then head south to Ushuaia.  No time limit when I need to be in Ushuaia but would like to be in Colombia in October to see a friend celebrating my birthday there.. then ride south. 

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Newbie new to BMW and to GS911
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:06:22 AM »
To use the PC App on the MAC you would need to set up Parallels  and install Windows in the Virtual Machine, the alternative is to simply use the WiFi interface of the GS911 WiFi and cloud services. To use the MAC and cloud services you would need to activate Internet Connection sharing on the MAC and make it a WiFi hot spot for the GS911 to connect to and access the web via the MAC then configure the GS911 to connect

wkheathjr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:25:25 AM »
WayneC,

Thanks for the reply.  What would work the best? And yes Parallel was the software! I think $79 or $99 a year?  Willing to pay for it if it is better especially if I can keep track of data records?   If it makes no difference, I can give WIFI a try. 

And what am I supposed to do with it? reset anything or just save the data?

Thanks!
-Ken

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »
It would be best to set up parallels and the WiFi then get used to using both. There are times where mobile coverage wont be available so the PC app is handy for emergency component testing. It is like any tool, learn how to use it so if trouble occurs you know how to use the tool

The adaption table reset is only needed when you change a component, being able to read and reset fault codes is the first step in trouble shooting