Author Topic: r1200rt surging issue: gs-911 real time data  (Read 7081 times)

blckhd

r1200rt surging issue: gs-911 real time data
« on: May 07, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »
Forgive me if this isn't the right place to post a question like I have and please direct me to a better forum.

I own a 2012 bmw r1200rt with 62k miles. I have been having engine issues. The primary symptoms are:
1 ) The problem never is apparent at first start. I think it would idle after start forever without problems.
2 ) While riding, at times the bike will surge, and have problems maintaining a static speed.
3 ) During these times (#2), it is very difficult to throttle smoothly. It seems that the throttle is on or off. If I grip the throttle tightly and not let it speed or coast as to maintain a static speed, the bike will tend to surge back in forth.
4 ) During these times (#2), if I pull in the clutch, the bike will likely stall. At minimum, it will idle very rough.
5 ) If the bike has stalled because of #4, it will not restart. At best, it will barely start and idle extremely rough.
6 ) When I notice #2 and it is still running, if I twist the throttle to full (while still in gear), it immediately smooths out and runs well . . . until it doesn't again. I do not need to let the throttle snap back, I can just continue on my way after full throttle.
7 ) The exception to #5 is, if before I attempt to start I twist the throttle to full, and let it snap back, the bike will start right up and idle smoothly without any throttle movement/twist.
8 ) The issue in general has been progressively getting worse. There are sometimes long periods of time without displaying any symptoms, however, lately every day I have taken it out, I have noticed some issues.

I have attached real time gs-911 data in csv format. One can see on line 471 where the throttle position is full (column L). Prior to that it progressively ran rough until I pulled in the clutch and it stalled (467ish). The bike ran smooth after the restart.

All 4 coils have recently been replaced. As have the spark plugs. Service has been maintained consistently by the dealer every 6k miles as it is still under warranty.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions, or assistance is appreciated.

blckhd

schuppi

Re: r1200rt surging issue: gs-911 real time data
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Hello blckhd (strange name, but that's your choice)

I just try to help. Please look at line 468 to 470.
Engine speed changed to zero and fuel pump is off. All other values looked fine.
In that case, I think the engine speed sensor will stopped working and so the ecu shut off the fuel pump.

I would messure the speed sensor resistance while heating it up to 100°C. May be there are no 660 ohms :)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

blckhd

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. In an obviously unrelated event, I picked up a nail in the rear tire. I have road hazard, so I took it in. A mechanic who typically does not work on my bike replaced the tire. He then took it out for a spin after I warned him about the surge.

He came back and claimed it surged on him several times. He parked it and immediately worked on the throttle adjustment and stated "I think it doesn't know how to idle properly" and "I don't think the throttle has enough play in it". He then told me to "reset the idle" the following morning by removing the positive battery connector for a minute. Reconnect and turn the key on. Hold the throttle to full for 10 seconds. Start engine and idle until engine is at operating temperature.

The short of it is, there is definitely more play in my throttle (about 1/4 inch now) and it has been running quite well. An remarkable improvement was immediately noticeable. The first couple times after the adjustment I noticed a hesitation here or there, but the last 2 rides have been flawless. Time will tell . . .

Seems like such a simple fix for something that has been tormenting me for a very long time. I would have never guessed that would have been the solution. I can only chalk it up as a learning experience.

blckhd

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
You can take 99% of the slack out of the throttle, as long as the TPS is at Zero when you start the bike.  Do NOT touch the throttle when starting the bike.

Reset the adaptations.  That will reconfigure your TPS to what it should be.  If you still have trouble with it, replace the TPS with either a new one or a KNOWN good one.