Author Topic: ABS pump motor supply  (Read 5967 times)

Dugi34

ABS pump motor supply
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
Hello,  I posted previously about a pump motor fault on a 2009 r1200gs adv.  After stripping down the motor to check the carbon brush contact etc I put the motor back together, tested it prior to fitting it to  the aluminium bloc and found it to be working. After refitting the abs unit to the bike, I tested it again and found the fault remained and unable to perform a reset, nor any output tests.

I then sent it off to be tested by a UK company- ECU testing, where it was found to be in working order. That was not expected, so I  had it rebuilt anyway as it came with a warranty for 5 years. I haven't refitted it yet, but in the event that fault remains- aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh, ( I did test as much of the wiring harness as I could, prior to sending the unit off) I wondered if any other folks on here had encountered similar faults that did not show up on the gs911 diagnostic.

thanks

Doug

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: ABS pump motor supply
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Hello,  I posted previously about a pump motor fault on a 2009 r1200gs adv.  After stripping down the motor to check the carbon brush contact etc I put the motor back together, tested it prior to fitting it to  the aluminium bloc and found it to be working. After refitting the abs unit to the bike, I tested it again and found the fault remained and unable to perform a reset, nor any output tests.

I then sent it off to be tested by a UK company- ECU testing, where it was found to be in working order. That was not expected, so I  had it rebuilt anyway as it came with a warranty for 5 years. I haven't refitted it yet, but in the event that fault remains- aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh, ( I did test as much of the wiring harness as I could, prior to sending the unit off) I wondered if any other folks on here had encountered similar faults that did not show up on the gs911 diagnostic.

thanks

Doug

What fault codes are reported?

Dugi34

Re: ABS pump motor supply
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
Hello,
          as I feared, the  newly refurbished abs module shows the same fault code- 24048- and pump motor defective. I removed the motor prior to sending it for refurbing, and it was ok. By that I  mean it ran with a direct power supply after taking it off the aluminium block. I even pulled it apart to check condition of carbon brushes, very little wear and moving freely.

The fact the same fault shows up still leads me to believe the fault lies elsewhere. I have attempted an output test on the abs unit , but , the gs911 states there is a problem communicating with the controller.  Since connecting the module up to the bike I noticed it was making a noise- previously it was silent- I have tested all the supplies to the various ecu' s connected to the abs,according to a wiring diagram , and they appear to be ok.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a fix?

Next step I fear  is to junk the abs  and bypass the annoying warning lamps etc on the dash.