Author Topic: GSA fuel range  (Read 8260 times)

PeterA

GSA fuel range
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »
Since my last service by the agents, my GSA seems to think my fuel tank holds about 50 litres.  My initial range shows upwards of 750km, and I run out of fuel with the range still showing 100-odd km.  Sometimes the low fuel warning light comes on about 15km before I run out of fuel, mostly there is no low fuel warning.  I can avoid running out of fuel by using the odo to watch km-since-full, but is there any remedy for the faulty range prediction?

schuppi

Re: GSA fuel range
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
Hello Peter, welcome to GS911 forum ;)

I think, that's the wellknown Fuellevelsensor fault :-\.
There are many words written about fixing this issue, but meanwhile BMW changed the layout
of this sensor.
Best way to fix it, please change the sensor. 8)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

PeterA

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Thank you, schuppi.

I was rather hoping there was a GS911 re-set solution, instead of replacing the sensor.  The bike is out of warranty, but considering that the fault only developed immediately after a service (by BMW agents), do you think there's any chance they will accept responsibility? (Probably a stupid question...  :-\)

Peter

schuppi

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »
do you think there's any chance they will accept responsibility?

YES! If your dealer is your friend or better your buddy :) he campaign to you.
Think there is a way to get some money back.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
Since my last service by the agents, my GSA seems to think my fuel tank holds about 50 litres.  My initial range shows upwards of 750km, and I run out of fuel with the range still showing 100-odd km.  Sometimes the low fuel warning light comes on about 15km before I run out of fuel, mostly there is no low fuel warning.  I can avoid running out of fuel by using the odo to watch km-since-full, but is there any remedy for the faulty range prediction?

Have you tried to recalibrate it?

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
What year GSA and what country?   GS and GSA with a fuel strip sensor (I forget the exact years, approx '07 thru '11) had the sensor warranty expanded to 12 years in the US.  Don't know if that is a US specific thing or world wide.