Author Topic: Brake Test fail  (Read 28276 times)

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Brake Test fail
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
Alex

I will check what voltages I get on my 2006 GS Adv tomorrow.  Like yours, it also has the servo assisted pump so voltages should be similar.

Will post results for you.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
So, have completed a full brake service. Bled the front and rear wheel circuits and the front and rear control circuits. Everything works as it should.
While I was at the control module I removed and cleaned the electrical plug with CRC. (The contacts were clean before I started so it was not actually necessary.)
When I connect the gs911 and check the battery voltage on the engine tests it is just below 14 volts, engine running, when I check the battery voltage on the ABS tests it shows 11.1 volts or less, engine running.
I also redid the brake tests with the gs911, the front passes with no issues, (says adequately bled) the rear will turn green and the line moves into the second division but will not move all the way to the right, the report says insufficient pressure.
Following the tests I get an error code on the front and the rear indicating over pressure in the control module ( greater than 5.5 bar), I assume this is normal, it clears and does not come back so it is the tests that cause it.
Any one experienced the voltage issue or have thoughts on the rear brake not getting high enough pressure?

Tried this test on my bike this morning.  2006 R1200GS Adv.  Voltages were identical on both tests, hovering between 13.8V and 14.4V.

Unplug the connector on the pump and check if you do not have any corrosion on the contacts.  Clean with some contact cleaner and replace the plug.  Then check again.

Alexm1

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
Jughead, many thanks, much appreciated. This firms up that the problem is most likely the voltage drop. I have already removed the plug and sprayed CRC on it, there was no corrosion however so that was a long shot. I have a BMW manual on a disc but it contains no circuit diagrams, have ordered a clymer manual that has circuit diagrams, should have it this week. Will then trace the high resistance joint. Worst case I will get an alternate supply from somewhere else but need to see the circuit first.
Thanks again for taking the readings, it gives something firm to work with.
Alex

Alexm1

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
Jughead, a question, in the pictures you posted showing the fix for the integrated ABS there are 6 bleed points above the pressure relief valves. I thought mine had 4. The two that are facing down in the centre are missing. Is there different models of integrated ABS?
Alex

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
K series Bike, correct?

The bleed nipples are on the side of the pump if I'm not mistaken?

You will then bleed from the bottom up.

Alexm1

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »
I am just confused at the additional nipples in your photo. I have the 4 on the front face and one either side in the recess visible in your photo.
I assume from your answer there are different models.
Alex

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Not really different models as such.  Same pump, just a little different.

The nipples on the side of the pump, in the recess, are bled first, the tall ones on the top of the pump last.

For the nipples in the recess you need this "special" homemade tool.  8)

A 7mm ring, heated and bent 90deg, cut and welded to a 1/4" socket trimmed down with only the 1/4" hole remaining.

Alexm1

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Thanks jughead. Yes I have one of those home made spanners, I have bled the control unit a number of times, most recently last week.
I am always appreciative of those that did it before me and put their procedures on line, makes it easy for the rest of us.
Keep up the great work, you are appreciated!
Alex.
Alex

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 07:08:35 AM »
No problem.  Thanks!

Yen_kofu

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »
ABS Status 2012-8-12with charger voltage drop in a cable circuit significantly
as 2.5V in between
SEE ATTACHMENT !Improve the quality of photos!   

ABS-II Low Voltage Fault Modification
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/ABS-II_low_voltage_modification/index.shtml
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:14:17 AM by Yen_kofu »