Author Topic: GS 650 Dakar 2001  (Read 8295 times)

kjhunt

GS 650 Dakar 2001
« on: December 27, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
Hello there, wishing you all an advanced Happy New Year.
Any thoughts on this matter. I have a problem with the ignition switch in that when the key is in place and you switch on, nothing lights up on the dash board, and you cannot start the bike. If the key is turned a fraction back, on come the lights, but if its turned back to full on, off they go.
I have found that when the key is turned back and the lights come on, and left to check through then let the key go forward sometimes they stay on and then you can start the bike up. I have had this problem twice and have had the ignition changed twice but it keeps on coming back.
Is it possible to repair in house?
Many thanks Ken.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: GS 650 Dakar 2001
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:22:17 AM »
It is clearly an alignment problem within the switch assembly, when the first replacements were done was the complete switch including the mechanical components replaced or only the electrical section at the back of the switch ?

kjhunt

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »
Hi there and thanks for the info. To be honest cannot remember what was replaced. At the two occasions I thought it was the whole switch. Sorry not much help there....

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:15:11 AM »
The switch mechanism bolts into the lock assembly from below with 2 x 3mm screws, if they were loose it may result in the fault you have

There is also a difference between the first machines produced and the later single spark machines, not sure of the details though see the on line fiche

Te pain in the butt will be getting at it and removing the lock section from the steering head due to the security screws attaching it to the steering head

kjhunt

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
Thought it might turn out to be a pain to do. Have heard about the two security screws that have to be drilled out. Well thanks for your trouble, think for now as I have enough on my plate with another BMW I think I will leave things as they are for now.
I have to say going off BMW bikes at the moment.
Again thank you. Bye for now Ken