General Category > General Discussion

CANbus Resistance Values

(1/5) > >>

WarthogARJ:
Hi,
Is GREAT to now have a way to change from MILES to KILOMETERS.
Thanks.

What I'd like is a way to reset the common CANbus lighting resistance values for the indicator lights, taillight, and the main headlight.
It's a very common upgrade to add in an aftermarket LED but if you don't have some sort of power resistor you get a CANbus fault.
I have an HP2 Enduro, but I'm sure all you lesser mortals with those other BMW bikes might want this too...:-}

So you have to add in a power resistor.
Which fools the CANbus.
But you waste power.

I'm sure that the CANbus system checks a registry for the resistance value.
Be nice to adjust that to the value of the LED you added.

Of course if Stephen cannot figure out how to do that, well we shouldn't stress him about it.
Dang.
He might get upset and kick his dog.
Yell at the wife.
Heavens.

Then we'd be responsible for his dog biting him and for his subsequent relocation to the dog house due to his wife not being happy with him.
Imagine having to share the dog house with a dog you just kicked?
Poor dog.
No.
So just forget about it.
I'm SURE it's just too hard to do.
Sigh......:-}

Alan

Haakon:
The Hexcode team can not make "magics"- even tho it often seems they do :-)))
They are restricted by how BMW programmed the ECU.
If the BMW GT1 (Their $$$$$ computer) can not change the resistance values then the GS911 also can not.
I know it "can" be done but not unless you rewrite the ECU software... almost impossible to do for a "small" firm.
(as a example: 11 years ago one of Germanys main chiptuning firms were asked to just find the ignition part of the GS F650 ECU (so "we" could modify it) The time and price for a "simple" task like that was HUGE!!
----------
Even with full access to the code its a enormous task to modify it- AND make sure the rest is not altered.
If BMW ever offer other types of "bulbs" there will be modifications done to the ECU code...  and then Hex will be able to use that in a new Beta :-)))
Haakon

PS: I am NOT working at Hexcode.
The easiest way is to cheat the CANbus with  external electronics that give the CANbus the values it expect.       

WarthogARJ:
Yeah I know.
The dogs in Stellenbosch have BIG teeth.
And Stephen's wife has a great left hook.

Sigh.

Seriously, the info MUST be stored somewhere.
In an array.

Haakon:

--- Quote from: WarthogARJ on July 09, 2013, 03:30:53 AM ---Seriously, the info MUST be stored somewhere.
In an array.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I fully agree. The problem is to find it- and how to modify it.
I do NOT know anything re: the BMW CANbus system but I bet its not "open source" or "easy" to crack and read/ modify.
Unless BMW come up with a updated ECU/CANbus software that have that as a option its almost impossible to do.
Not impossible, but just way too time consuming AND expensive to even try.
-----------------
Some of the firms that sell LED lights tell its CANbus "usable"- is that just cheap resistor solutions??

WarthogARJ:
So, Stephen, what say?
You afraid of your dog or your wife?

Seriously, is it not possible to find the resistance look-up table in the firmware?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version